The Wonders of Coffee – Coffee Facts 17th June
The caffeine drink we love to wake us up in the morning. In the UK we drink approximately 70 million cups a day. For us, working in the vending industry means we know how much is consumed, but how much do we actually know about it?
- All of the coffee grown on the planet is from an area called the coffee belt.
- Originally, coffee was eaten. African tribes mixed coffee beans with fat, which formed edible energy balls.
- Energy drinks still don’t have as much caffeine as a Starbucks coffee.
- Legend has it, a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident. He noticed his goats appeared to be frisky and ‘dance’ after eating coffee berries.
- Coffee is most effective when consumed between 9.30am and 11.30am.
- Brazil produces 40% of the world’s coffee.
- A group of scientists reported that simply inhaling the aroma of coffee could alter the activity of some genes in the brain. So according to this theory just smelling coffee can wake you up!
- The two most popular beverages on earth, in order, are water and coffee.
- Instant coffee is 250 years old.
- Turkish bridegrooms were once required to make a promise during their wedding ceremonies to always provide their new wives with coffee. If they failed it was grounds for divorce.